Get ready to rock Wendy Park and Cleveland’s Old Coast Guard Station on Wednesday evenings this summer.
Cleveland Metroparks will offer stand-up paddleboarding and kayaking inside the inner harbor, launching from Whiskey Island.
A newbie to either sport? Beginners can experience kayaking and SUP during one-hour “Try-It” sessions near shore for $5.
Got the basics down already? Experienced paddlers can kayak and paddle on tours of the harbor with certified instructors for $35. Coastal kayaking classes will be offered for advanced paddlers wanting to learn paddling techniques for open water paddling.
“Cleveland Metroparks Outdoor Recreation is committed to growing an outdoor recreation culture and connecting the community to one of Northeast Ohio’s greatest resources, Lake Erie,” said outdoor recreation manager Rachel Nagle. “It’s all part of developing an active, healthy, outdoor recreation lifestyle.”
Classes, which include equipment provided thanks to a grant from the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, will be held most Wednesdays, June 20 – August 22. Registration is required.
See the Metroparks’ list of classes. There are Try It Sailing classes from the Coast Guard Station, too!
(By the way, the Metroparks water taxi on the Cuyahoga River nearby is free for summer weekends again. It opens May 13.)
Registration for June 20-July 11 classes is open. Registration for July 25–Aug. 22 classes opens June 15:
Wendy Park Wednesdays
- June 20: “Try-It:” Kayaking 5-6 p.m.
- June 20: Skyline Sunset Kayaking Tour 6:30-9 p.m.
- June 27: “Try-It:” SUP 5-6 p.m.
- June 27: Skyline Sunset SUP Tour 7-9 p.m.
- July 11: Coastal Kayaking: Basics
- July 25: “Try-It:” SUP
- July 25: Skyline Sunset SUP Tour
- August 1: Coastal Kayaking: Basics
- August 8: Try-It:” Kayaking
- August 8: Skyline Sunset Kayaking Tour
- August 15: “Try-It:” SUP
- August 15: Skyline Sunset SUP Tour
- August 22: Try-It:” Kayaking
- August 22: Skyline Sunset Kayaking Tour
Need another spot to rent a kayak or paddleboard? We’ve got you covered.